Friday, October 11, 2013

An Ol' Standby...Tuna Casserole

I told a friend today that I was planning on making tuna casserole for dinner tonight, and she gave me a suggestion as an addition for creaminess and I thought I would try it. 

I started with a 24 oz. package of egg noodles and got them boiling according to the package directions.

In a medium sized bowl, I combined the following:

2 sm. cans of cream of chicken soup mix (cream of mushroom will work also)
1 can worth of milk
2 small cans of canned tuna fish
2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese
A dash of pepper to taste
The new addition...1/2 cup mayonnaise ( I used name brand salad dressing, but next time I will try a favorite name brand mayo)

Once the noodles were half cooked and then drained, I added the tuna mixture to the drained noodles, and combined them.  Then I transferred the mixture to a casserole dish and added additional shredded cheese a top it all.  Then it baked in a 350 degree oven for 25-30 minutes.  My friend suggested adding french fried onions at this point and baking for another 15-20, which I did not have so I just checked on it, and let it bake for another 10 minutes. 

She was right, the casserole did not come out of the oven dry at all.  It was plenty creamy, and that is a good thing, especially if you are planning on leftovers.  The next time I make this though, I will use actual mayo.  I am sure if you prefer salad dressing instead that is fine, there is that "tangy zip" to it. 

The recipe above would comfortably feed a family of five or six with an extra helping or two I am sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment