Friday, March 2, 2012

Favorite Authors & Oreos!


Not much else goes better together than a great book with some yummy cookies and milk! The best part about the recipe for these cookies for me, is that they are easy to make, my kids love them, and good for me, they don't cost as much as the packaged ones in the store! These snacks are always great for me with an amazing book. I enjoy main stream authors like Debbie Macomber, but I like LDS fiction also, and not just because I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints either. I find that the books that fellow members of the Church write are as enjoyable, fun and entertaining as main stream authors, more so in some cases because of the lack of inappropriate content that I become cautious of while reading other books. One author whom I have had the pleasure of meeting a few years ago, and consequently have many of her books, is Jennie Hansen. I am always pleasantly surprised with her books, she writes about many different situations, and places and times, from her book "High Stakes" written in the time when the West was rough and tumble, to one favorite of mine, "High Country" written in a recent time frame, about a married couple who fall in love again after much strife and conflict, while working on their ranch. I read these books over and over, and I find that even after reading them multiple times, I still get enthralled and as caught up in them while reading as I did the first time. I look forward to reading other authors as well, like Debbie and Jennie, so if anyone has specific suggestions please let me know! I love to read, and would love to get to experience more! I love to suggest both of these ladies to friends and family both members and non-member of the Church, and would love to be able to suggest both new books and authors to them as well!
Oh, the Oreo Recipe, right...
For the Cookie, combine the following:
1 Box Devil's Food Cake mix
1/2 cup vegetable shortening - this is a must!
2 eggs
The mixture will be tough, and needs to be thoroughly mixed so that no powder is left in the bottom of the bowl. Once combined, shape these cookies by pinching off enough dough to form a ball about an inch around, roll it around in your hand to make smooth. Once you have filled a cookie sheet, or two, bake in a 350 degree oven for approximately 10 minutes. Cool on the cookie sheet for a minute or two then transfer to a cooling rack until completely cooled. Once the cookies are completely cooled, they can be frosted with your favorite brand of vanilla frosting, either out of the can or homemade, whichever you prefer. Frost the bottom of one cookie then top it with another to make a sandwich.
These are a perfect snack, so find your favorite comfy chair, and a big glass of milk and enjoy a great book!

1 comment:

  1. One additional comment about the recipe, if it is too tough and hard to handle, you can add an additional 1/4 cup of shortening to allow a more smooth texture. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete