This cake is amazing with or without the marshmallow creme "frosting"...
Just a side note, this page of my recipes is sticky from the numerous times I have made it.
Things you Need:
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs (I buy the boxes of crumbs, but it equals 24 squares)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup milk
1/2 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips (you can use up to 1 cup, but that is a lot)
1 (7 ounce) jar (1 1/2 cups) marshmallow creme) - this is optional for us.
What to Do:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9 x 13 pan with non-stick cooking spray. In a medium bowl, combine flour, graham cracker crumbs, baking powder and soda with salt and mix thoroughly.
- In a large bowl, cream brown sugar, shortening, and the eggs. Add the combined dry ingredients, and the milk, mix together on a low speed until combined, beat for one more minute on a medium speed. Add the 1/2 cup of chocolate chips and combine. Transfer the batter to the 9 x 13 pan and spread evenly into the prepared pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25-35 minutes, testing the cake for doneness. Cool for approximately 15 minutes.
- Optional - While the cake is still a little warm, spoon the marshmallow creme on the warm cake a teaspoonful at a time, to spread more evenly, dip a knife in hot water and use to spread the creme over the cake.
- Cool for about one hour before serving.
Try it and let me know what you think!