Wednesday, November 28, 2012

"Turkey Time" A Week Later...


Since our family of five went to visit family on Thanksgiving Day and again for the weekend, our turkey has gone uncooked, our stuffing and mashed potatoes un-fixed, and our rolls and desserts, un-baked.  That is, until this coming weekend. 

I actually prefer it that way.  Who really wants to eat turkey, and pumpkin pies for three to four days in a row, not taking into consideration the leftovers.  So, we will be having our family "feast" Sunday afternoon, and then I will freeze the leftovers in portion-sized containers to be used later on.  Some of my ideas for the leftovers are:  Casserole, pot pie, soup, and the ever favorite sandwiches...warm, open-faced are my favorite served with the leftover stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy, but a cold slab of turkey between two pieces of bread are fine too, of course.

But, also now that Thanksgiving is over for another year, I need to consistently remind myself that I should be more vocal about giving thanks more often, and not just on the holiday itself.  So, here goes.  My thankful moment came today when Anna, my three year old and I were out running errands after dropping Robyn off at school.  We first went to the library.  I am thankful for all of the choices we have there, books, movies, games, and other fun activities, like pre-school story time that we try to attend each Wednesday morning.  Anna is sitting through more and more of the story hour, and hopefully soon she will want to stay the whole time.  Secondly, I am thankful for the $10 vegetable and fruit sale at the grocery store.  You could buy any number of certain produce for $10, provided you could put it in a provided bag.  We ended up with eight oranges, one bag of baby carrots, four small bundles of romaine lettuce, five onions, a stalk of celery, and a good sized pineapple.  If we had had more money I would have filled more than one bag, but I was able to get one produce bag, two gallons of milk, and a snack bag of chips for Anna for $19.88 and I had $20 cash.  Pretty good for a extremely tight budget.

No comments:

Post a Comment