Saturday, November 3, 2012

The last bit of fresh potatoes...



Made mashed potatoes that I have now frozen.  I figure that if Ore-Ida can do it, then I should be able to do it too.  I also diced some fairly small and blanched them so that we can have hash browns too.  I have learned that blanching them keeps them from turning that cloudly shade of unappetizing brown in the freezer.  They tasted good before I put them in the freezer, so that shouldn't be an issue when I take them out to use. 

This next week, my hope it to make apple pie filling, and maybe some more Crock Pot applesauce.  The reason for that, my husband brought home a large apple box filled to the brim with Red Delicious Apples from one of his bosses trees.  I thought the apple peeling was over for the year, but apparently I was wrong.  The girls and hubby do enjoy apples though, so who am I to complain.  Plus, they taste good, and were free, so I will not look a gift horse in the mouth. 

Even though our potatoes are in the freezer, I am looking forward to the semi-yearly gift box from my awesome sister-in-law.  She will be sending us product from her work to try.  Different varieties of potatoes, in practically every shape, form and flavor, varieties of breads, and vegetables, and the like.  Which we truly appreciate.  We wouldn't be able to afford anything like she sends to us.  Those boxes are still amazing to get.  The last one was about 70 pounds, which was send overnight delivery, packed in dry ice.  We love her for her thoughtfulness!

What is your favorite way to prepare potatoes?  Fried, baked, mashed, in a casserole, or straight?




No comments:

Post a Comment