Sunday, November 27, 2011

Reading instead of Teaching?

Okay, so normally I don't have a problem with listening to someone else read, a book or a lesson in class, but today it just rattled me that our teacher in Relief Society, who is a High School Teacher during the week felt that it was alright to read practically verbatim, word for word the lesson she was giving from a talk in the Ensign. She did not allow for questions or comments from others, and when someone tried to ask a question or make a comment, she kept plugging away, reading what we could all have read for ourselves. If I wanted to read the lesson, which I already had actually, I could have done that on my own time and by myself. I have taught a fair amount of the lessons myself in the past, but I at least try to look at the others in the room, and engage them in a conversation though brief, and ask for comments or questions if there was a misunderstanding. She did not. I would think that this might have been an off week for her, but this has happened before, plus she has an entire month to prepare. I just wish that she had engaged everyone in class more, it would have made the lesson more involed instead of feeling like we were being talked at and preached to.

No comments:

Post a Comment